Artwork from the game Glitch was made freely available under a Creative Commons CC0 1.0 Universal License license (essentially a “no rights reserved” license). The artwork used to create in-game characters has been adapted to work with The Great Reading Adventure as the participant’s avatar.
The following steps outline how to download the artwork and incorporate it into your Great Reading Adventure installation to use as avatars.
The v4.0.0-noavatars release¶
If you downloaded the v4.0.0-noavatars release you must download the avatars separately and put them in the correct location to be imported. If you downloaded the larger v4.0.0 release then the avatars are already present in the assets directory.
- Obtain the
defaultavatars-4.0.0.zipfile from the GRA release page.
- Unzip the avatars and place them into a directory called
assetsin your main deployment directory (the
assetsdirectory will be alongside files like
GRA.dll). Inside the
assetsdirectory will be the
defaultavatarsdirectory which will contain all the element directories and installation
.jsonfiles (folders like
Hat, files like
Loading the avatars¶
You must load the avatars into the software before they can be used.
- Optional: when participants share their avatars via Open Graph markup or Twitter Cards their avatar is placed upon a stage to make it better fit into the image sizes necessary for Open Graph and Twitter: the file named
assetsdirectory will be loaded into the GRA as that stage. There are other options in the
backgroundsfolder - if you would like to use one of those just rename the one you select
background.pngand overwrite the current
- Access Mission Control on your installation.
- Choose the picture frame icon from the navigation menu and select “Avatars”.
- Click the “Add default avatars” button.
- Wait. This takes a while - it may take so long that the Web page itself times out. If you want to see the progress, look in the
shared/logsdirectory on your server, it should output as it’s importing the various items. You’ll see “Default avatars added in x seconds.” in the log file when it is done.
- Navigate through the avatar section of the software and ensure that all of the available assets are agreeable for your program(s) and audience.
assetsdirectory can be removed (if desired) once avatars are loaded.