Create the database¶
The GRA uses its own database to store reading program data. This database can be completely segregated from any other databases on the same SQL Server.
There are two options when creating the database: you can execute a script or manually create the database and users using SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS).
From a script¶
- Connect to the database server to run a query (this can be done with SQL Server Management Studio by right-clicking on the server in the Object Explorer on the left and choosing New Query).
- Copy the text from the database create script and paste it into the query window.
- Click the Execute button in the toolbar.
From the user interface¶
Create the database¶
- Launch SQL Server Management Studio and connect to the database server.
- Double-click the server name to show the Databases folder.
- Right-click on the Databases folder and select the New Database... option.
- In the New Database window, enter a database name, for example:
- If you wish to have the database files stored in a different location than the default, scroll the Database files list to the right and change the presented Path to where you'd like to store the database files.
- Select Options from the page list on the left.
- For the Recovery model drop-down, change the selection from
- Select OK to create the database.
Create the logins and users¶
- Right-click the Security folder and select New -> Login....
- Enter the Login name for the database owner user, for example:
SQL Server authentication.
- Enter a secure password for this user in the Password and Confirm password fields. Make a note of this password.
- You can uncheck
Enforce password policyso that the password for this account will not expire.
User mappingfrom the Select a page list on the left.
- Locate the name of the database (this tutorial used
SRPin Create the database step 4 above) in the Users mapped to this login list on the left.
- Check the appropriate box in the
Mapcolumn to map this login to a user in the database.
- In the Database role membership for: list, select
- Select OK to create the login and user.